Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Spaghetti Sauce

I never watched the Sopranos, but did happen across the Sopranos Family Cookbook at the library. Since the recipe seemed similar to the spaghetti sauce recipe I wanted to try from an Italian cooking show on PBS, I chose that first. I don't like shredded meat, so next time would substitute using spare ribs, italian sausage, and hamburger and I would use less because my final result was too meaty. The full quantity of ingredients in the original recipe would not fit into my 5 quart crock pot, which is the only non-reactive large pot that I had, so we used Mom's 6 quart Caphalon Dutch oven (great pans, but they are ugly). The adaptation below uses less meat, but consider draining more juice and adding back after the tomato has cooked down so that your pot doesn't overflow. I wouldn't hesitate to use fresh tomatoes. I found it easier to puree the tomatoes (with juice) in a 2 quart pitcher in batches using my hand blender. The original recipe required that you take out the meat and set aside for another time. Naw, I don't think so. Also, while the original uses fresh basil, I only have that if my sister grows it. She didn't this year. So, I go with dried.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
This is what the original reciope looked like while cooking.

Sopranos Sunday Gravy (Stephanie's adaptation)

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 pound spareribs, cut apart
1/2 pound hamburger
1 pound bulk, fresh italian sausage
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup tomato paste (I used all of a small can)
Three 28 to 35 oz. cans Italian peeled tomatoes or 6 lb. can diced tomatoes OR diced fresh or frozen
salt and freshy ground pepper
1 tablespoon plus 1 tsp. dried basil (divided)

Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Place the pieces of the spare ribs in the pot and brown, turning occasionally for about 15 minutes or until nicely browned. Transfer to plate. Brown hamburger and sausage. Set with the pork.

Drain off most of the fat from the pot. Add the garlic and cook about a minute or until golden. Stir in tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Drain tomatoes until you have 1 cup of juice. Puree tomatoes with remaining juice using hand blender (or in stages using blender) and pour into pot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 tablespoon dried basil. Add meat. Stir. Bring sauce to a simmer. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for 2-4 hours (6-8 if using open crock pot). If the sauce becomes too thick, add a little of the leftover juice or water. 15 minutes before done, add 1 tsp. dried basil and mix. Serve over spaghetti or use for lasagna.

If you really like that Dutch Oven, you can buy it at Amazon. It's called Calphalon Everyday Nonstick 6-Quart Dutch Oven.

1 comment:

Nathalie said...

I need a picture for Sunday gravy to post on my blog.
Can I use your picture?
My blog is written in french so...I would be surprise if your readers would come to read mine.

I will wait, before posting the picture, to ear from you.

Thank you