Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Bobby's Goulash

I'm a fan of Food TV. Not all of the shows and certainly not all of the recipes, but it is enjoyable to watch and see what others make. I particularly enjoy Paula Deen's methods of cooking. As mentioned in early posts, I'm a big fan of Southern cooking (I had a boss from Georgia, I guess I can blame him). I was looking for an easy, top-of-the-stove recipe that I had everything in hand. That day, Paula was featuring her son Bobby's favorite foods for his birthday. Ok..gotta try it. Very tasty, but WAY to spicy hot. Could this be because I substituted hot Italian sausage for the ground turkey? Could be. I never buy ground turkey. I have hot Italian sausage a lot, so I think it's really because there was a mistype and only 1 teaspoon of House seasoning was supposed to be in there and not a whole tablespoon. The amount of salt seemed way too high and I used Mrs. Dash, but I think if you only use 1 tsp. House Seasoning, you can go ahead and use whatever you use for seasoned salt (Lawryrs for instance). This recipe is really worth a try. Even my sister, the vegetarian, liked this stuff (her portion had no meat, but she would have liked her Morning Star Crumbles in it). Fast, fast, fast to make and definitely man friendly. By the way, the house seasoning is really good in hamburgers too.

OH, and a tip. If you have too hot peppers (capsicums), use milk or dairy product to cut the heat. If it is excessive black pepper, you use lemon and a little sugar.

Bobby's Goulash

Paula Deen, Food Network 2007

2 pounds lean ground beef
1 pound ground turkey (I used Italian sausage)
2 large onions, chopped
3 cups water
1 (29 oz) can tomato sauce
2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 bay leaves
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon House Seasoning, recipe follows
1 tablespoon seasoned salt (I used Mrs. Dash)
2 cups dried elbow macaroni

In a Dutch oven, saute the ground beef and ground turkey over medium-high heat until no pink remains. Break up meat while sauteing; spoon off any grease. Add the onions to the pot and saute until they are tender, about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups water, along with the tomato sauce, tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, bay leaves, soy sauce, House Seasoning and seasoned salt. Stir well. Place a lid on the pot and allow this to cook for 20 to 25 minutes. (if using fresh tomatoes, add about 10 min. to cooking time).

Add the elbow macaroni, stir well, return the lid to the pot, and simmer for about 20 minutes. Turn off the heat, remove the bay leaves and allow the mixture to sit about 30 minutes more before serving.

Deen House Seasoning

1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

http://www1.foodtv.com/celebrities/deenbio/0,7543,,00.html

No comments: