Monday, July 9, 2007

Pineapple Bran Muffins

I don't know about you, but most every bran muffin I have ever eaten is just plain nasty unless it has plenty of oil or sugar. That doesn't help if you are trying to eat healthy though.

Years ago, I tried the 8 Week Cholesterol Cure by Robert Kowalski. Yep, it works. Dropped my cholesterol down about 50 points just increasing my exercise to a daily 20 minute walk and eating three bran muffins daily. Maybe not as good as Lipitor, but if you only have marginally high cholesterol, you can bring it down with the tips in this book, which is now pretty much out-of-date. For instance, eggs are no longer considered to be the bugaboo they were a decade ago. Niacin, while sold OTC, can cause worse problems than the original cholesterol problem. The best thing I got out of this book was a healthy, but yummy, bran muffin recipe. Not all of his bran muffin variations worked for me, but the Pineapple Bran Muffin was a winner! By the way, on the bad side of 3 muffins a day is all the gas it produces. Your body gets used to that in 2 weeks, but it was annoying. I use Quaker Oat Bran cereal for these muffins.


Pineapple Bran Muffins

2 1/4 cups oat-bran cereal
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 cup evaporated skim milk or skim milk
2 - 8 oz. cans crushed pineapple in its own juice (unsweetened)
2 egg whites or 2 oz. egg substitute
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 425 F. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the milk, 1 can of crushed pineapple with juice, egg whites and oil in a bowl or blender. Combine the ingredients and mix. Drain the second can of pineapple and add to the mixture. Line the muffin pans with paper baking cups and fill with batter. Bake for 17 minutes. Make 12 muffins.

If you are short on ingredients, use whatever milk you have in the fridge and substitute the 2 egg whites with one egg. If you have a 20 oz. can, drain all the pineapple and use 1/2 cup of juice and most of the pineapple.

1 comment:

alilduckling said...

I have also tried the oat bran cure muffins some 25 years ago and had success in lowering my borderline high cholesterol. I am trying to post this recipe on computer recipe index so I appreciate your blog. Ironically, I've always enjoyed the taste. I am the weirdo who loves hot cereal year round and so I mostly cook my oat bran equivalent of the 3 muffins and sometimes add fruit on top with a little skim milk. There are rush days, though and so I freeze one form or another of the OB muffins (3) as my go to.