Sunday, May 20, 2007

Hawaiian Baked Chicken

As you are probably aware, the only thing Hawaiian about most Hawaiian recipes is the pineapple. This one is no different, but it was tasty. I love pineapple with chicken, so am willing to try anything that has it.

This recipe comes from my recently purchased Taste of Home Cookbook. It's a 3 ring bound cookbook designed to be a general cookbook for any home. I love my original Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook, but badly need updated recipes and cooking information. If you need a starter cookbook for the non-gourmet, this is a good one to get. If your giftee is into gourmet food, then I would recommend the latest copy of Joy of Cooking.

I liked this simple recipe, but contrary to what I normally do, I changed it first time out. I added a lot more paprika than the recipe called for and I'm glad I did. Note the temperature. I had everything ready to pop into the oven when I realized the 400 degree temp. Since I wasn't sure whether my baking dish could be in heat that high, I baked at 350 for a longer time. I had a lot of liquid, but that could have been due to the lower temp. I also substituted with canned chunk pineapple, which was all I had. Tidbits would have been a better substitute for crushed. I forgot the butter, but it still tasted fine (loses body). Since I don't like wine in my food, I used the chicken broth. This recipe would also work fine in the microwave or roaster, so if it's too hot, you have alternatives.

Hawaiian Baked Chicken

Leona Callen, Anna Maria, FL

12 boneless skinless chicken thighs (4 oz. ea)
2 cans (8 oz ea) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
1/4 cup sherry or chicken broth
1/4 cup spicy brown mustard
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon paprika

1. Arrange chicken in a shallow baking dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine the pineapple, sherry or broth, mustard, honey and butter; mix well.
2. Spoon over chicken; sprinkle with paprika. Bake uncovered, at 400 F for 35-45 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 180 F.

No comments: