Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Ham and Pasta Casserole

Today's recipe is based on a recipe posted by Diana Rattray, the About.com guide for Southern Cooking.  I didn't write down the actual name of the recipe or I'd give a link to it.  This was a yummy way to use up leftover ham.  It's pretty similar to mac and cheese with extras.  I used a 2 quart, wide baking dish plus a 1 quart baking dish and there was still too many bread crumbs. So, I recommend starting with 1 cup and deciding whether the extra 1/2 cup seems too much.  I made some other variations, so this recipe reflects what I did.  If you add more pasta, you need to increase the milk or it will be too dry.

Cheesy Ham and Pasta

12 ounces penne pasta, about 3 cups
10 oz. bag of frozen peas
4 tablespoons butter
3 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
2 cups diced ham
2 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, about 12 ounces, divided

Topping
1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
2 tablespoons melted butter

Spray a 2 quart

No comments: