Thursday, February 28, 2008

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake



Here's an easy chicken dish from Campbell's ad in one of my magazines. Yes, it has Campbell's soup in it. I used chicken thighs with skin removed. I cannot taste the onion powder, but as you know, my sense of smell doesn't work. Next time, I will add some minced onion for that reason. When you need a brainless day, this works. I served it with cornbread and salad. I've noticed that I've been on a real casserole bent of late for posting recipes. I haven't had a lot of recipes lately that I ever cared to have again. I am also trying to cut back on the baked goods. While my cholesterol is not too bad, my weight is suffering. I've been having a great time trying out different recipes for stir fry. We have a new Oriental grocery store that opened up blocks from here. Yum. But just like in regular supermarkets, most of the canned stuff has a lot of salt.

Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake

1 can (10 3/4 oz) Campbell's Cream of Chicken Soup (regular or 98% fat free)
1 1/3 cups water
3/4 cup uncooked regular long-grain white rice
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 1/2 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (4-6)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz).

Mix soup, water, rice, onion powder and black pepper in 2 qt. shallow baking dish. Top with chicken. Sprinkle chicken with additional pepper. Cover and bake at 375 F for 45 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and rice is done. Uncover. Sprinkle cheese over chicken. Serves 4.

No comments: