Monday, June 4, 2007

Rhubarb Strawberry Coffee Cake

The Saga of a Cookbook Fanatic continues. I've been working hard to reduce my cookbook collection to a more manageable size. It's mostly been easy. I've made something out of virtually every book that went; sometimes a keeper, sometimes good once or just OK. However, I do think eliminating so many makes my remaining collection a little more usable. I've enjoyed them, so now it's time for someone else to do so. I've gone down from over 400 to roughly 220 remaining cookbooks and booklets with about 10 with 3 to 6 recipes to try. Set those aside to start cooking or baking my way through them. My current collection is a LOT of Betty Crocker and Pillsbury, Taste of Home and of course the Southern Living Annuals and a few church type cookbooks. As mentioned in a prior post, my preference is American cuisine. There is also a smattering of Italian, Chinese and gourmet mostly cookbooks. This summer, I plan to do a lot of slow-cooking recipes. So far, I don't like any of the 8 hour recipes except beans, because I don't like fall-apart chicken or shredded beef or pork (it's a texture thing).

Got another of those little books at the grocery store last week (I'm a victim of my addiction) and already tried a recipe out of it! It's from Taste of Home Cake Mix Creations. I made a half a recipe of cream cheese frosting and spread it. Ok, way too rich. Don't do that. When she says drizzle 1/2 cup, yes, do keep it at half a cup. I like this recipe, but I would like to spice it up some. Maybe cinnamon and nutmeg? More nuts? Anyway, this is a very moist, rich coffee cake. I sliced my rhubarb into pieces between 1/4 and 1/2 inch. Seemed to work fine.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Rhubarb Berry Coffee Cake

Jackie Heyer, Cushing, IA

1 package (18.25 oz) yellow cake mix, divided
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 eggs
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
1 1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
1/2 cup cream cheese frosting (Optional)

In a large bowl, combine 2/3 cup cake mix and brown sugar, cut in butter until crumbly. Add walnuts; set aside.

Place remaining cake mix in another bowl; add the eggs and sour cream. Fold in rhubarb and strawberries. Spread into a greased 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture.

Bake at 350 F for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Place frosting in a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 15 seconds. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12-15 servings

Editor's Note: if using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.

My note: to make such a small amount of frosting from scratch, either mix by hand or use a hand blender and a microwavable dish or cup. You need 2 oz. of cream cheese, 1 tablespoon butter, 1/4 tsp. vanilla and roughly 4 oz. powdered sugar. Soften the cream cheese and butter and cream together. Add vanilla. Mix in powdered sugar. You may need a little more depending on humidity and how thick you want it. Microwave for 15 seconds and drizzle over coffee cake.

No comments: